Fine Art/Dali print

I am thinking of purchasing a print by Dali entitled "The Coach and the Fly", it is based on the 12 fables by La Fontaine. The print is from a limited run of 62, it has the signature of Dali in right corner and the print number on the left. Furthermore, it has the capitals EA beside the print number. i am told this represents that fact this print has come from the personal collection of Dali. I have seen the print out of the frame and when you hold it up to the light there is a watermark, which looks like a heart with two horizontal line through it. I am informed this is the watermark of Arches paper. My question is, am I been told a series of tall stories in order to purchase a fake?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dear Nicholas,

The rule of thumb I use to determine whether a Dali print is a 'good' work is when it was produced.  Prints prior to 1978 have a substantially higher chance of being authentic than works produced later than 1978.  A terrific reference for Dali prints is "The Official Catalog of the Graphic Works of
Salvador Dali" by Albert Field.  Check this website for ordering details .

Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.