Fine Art/Degas drawing

Question
I have a drawing/study signed Degas in the typical manner.  How likely is it original?  How do I go about authenticating?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Answer
Jim, There is a much better chance of being struck by lightning in the Gobi Desert than you would have an original Degas drawing. First you would need to search through the Degas catalogue raisonne, if you can find one it is $3,500. Then you would have to contact the experts in France, and they rarely ever respond. Your best option is to make an appointment with the curator of the Print & Drawing Department of a major art museum. By the way all of the Degas copies, prints, repros, and fakes are signed in the typical manner.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes