Fine Art/Degas drawing

Question
Hi Alan

First I would like to thank you for you very useful help last time.

This time i would like to know if I could get an email and then mail you a photo of a Degas drawing that I'm wondering about buying. I'm pretty sure that it is genuine but I would really be gratefull if you would look at it.

Thank you

Best Regards, Soren from Denmark

Answer
Dear Soren, Although I am familiar with Degas paintings and sculpture, I don't know that I have ever seen a drawing and would not be able to evaluate by looking at a reproduction of a photo.  Personally, I would not buy such a piece without good provenance, that is, papers, not some letter by somebody saying it is authentic.  Knowing the seller helps, too.  And although you want it to be a good buy, remember, if the price is "too good to be true,"  it probably is!  You might want to call someone like Sotheby's to see if you can get an idea as to last auction price on comparable drawings, in terms of size, subject matter, complexity, and date.  Just be careful, Soren.

Alan Klevit