Fine Art/Degas oil

Question
Hi Dolly,
  This is so silly I'm embarrassed to ask but here goes... A friend of mine died suddenly several years ago and there was a sale of his things. I bought
several paintings and etchings. I really didn't think about the one painting until I took it in to be framed recently. It is an oil on canvas with a E Degas on the left side about 4 inches up. It's similar to
Racehorses at Longchamps. It's a stunning old painting but it's has to be a fake doesn't it?
I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thank you
Cacm

Answer
Dear CoCo,

I hope all is well with you and thank you for contacting me about your exciting painting. It may be an original; or it could be a fake, but you have a painting signed by E. Degas and it is representative of this work. You are wise to investigate further.

I have some questions and I would love to see photographs of the painting. If you decide to have it authenticated, you will need to gather information on your friend and how he may have come about owning the painting. You should also document other qualified art that was in his collection. You mentioned you also acquired some etchings from his estate. Do you have the names of the artists and images?

Please send me jpeg photos of the entire painting, including the back, and a clear close up of the signature and brushwork. Please photo any markings on the back or frame. I will not be able to authenticate your painting, but I can give you my opinion on if you should spend the time and expense pursuing authentication. Be aware however that getting authentication on a Modern Master such as Degas will be difficult, if not impossible, if you cannot provide its history. The more information you can get the better. You can email to: dolly12@aol.com.

I look forward to the photos!

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley