Fine Art/Divine Comedy Print Differences

My further research in this area has led me to some differences in prints from this series. I have talked to a few different people and gotten information from a few different sources, but there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus. For clarity, I am talking about block signed prints (no hand signatures). So there are two different possible watermarks that also correspond to other differences in the prints. One is a 'B.F.K Rives' watermark in a script font and the other is 'B.F.K Rives France' in a block font. The script font is supposedly from the original woodblocks and the French printing from the 60's. The paper is a cream color and the torn edge is on the bottom. The block font supposedly corresponds to a different printing from a different set of woodblocks. The paper is white and the torn edge is on the right side. Also, I have seen evidence that the actual print is different, less colors and just doesn't look as good in general. Can you confirm or repudiate any of these claims? From what I have seen it really looks like the prints are from different woodblocks and on different paper (I have compared side by side pictures of both and a real print with a block watermark to a picture of one with a script watermark). The quality of the prints is clearly different. I would assume that the value is less and they would not be considered original prints if they are from lower quality, non-original woodblocks. Thanks.

Chris--according to info. in catalog raisonee and you can even find online sights that describe the Suite, ALL pieces were pulled at the 'same time' in the 60s.  I am not aware of a bogus series produced later from different woodblocks, but your description is compelling.  And your assumption is correct: they would not be considered original prints and the value would be less.  Frankly, I would call them 'fakes' and not pay more than $20 each.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

check out Alan's latest book, "Art Collecting 101," at

Alan Klevit

I can provide sound advice on buying, collecting & understanding fine art, especially original works by 20th century masters and leading contemporary artists. I can also explain techniques used to create original works and offer tips on how to tell whether or not a piece is an original work of art.

I have been active in the art world for twenty-seven years. I owned and operated four galleries and a wholesale showroom on both coasts. We specialized in original works by 20th century masters and emerging artists. I have been an art consultant, artist's representative, lecturer, auctioneer, and curator. I had a radio show for two years, "Today's Art World with Alan Klevit" [Washington, D.C.]; hosted two television shows on the arts for six years [Los Angeles Area]; have written for numerous local papers and international art magazines; and currently write a syndicated column, "The Art Beat." I conduct art auctions for charities throughout the United States, and am a frequent speaker/auctioneer on upscale cruise ships, and at civic organizations and local television shows.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees from Georgetown University and The American University