Fine Art/E H.BLASHFIELD

Question
I HAVE AN 1887 EDITION OF GOLDSMITH'S SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER WITH TEN PLATES BY E A.ABBEY THE BOOK IS A FIRST EDITION, AND IN FINE CONDITION BUT IT ALSO HAS AN ORIGINAL BOOKPLATE DRAWN FOR THE OWNER,"THEODORE WOODMAN GORE" BY A FAMOUS ARTIST "E H. BLASHFIELD" AND IT IS SIGNED BY HIM . ONLY TWO OF HIS ARTWORKS HAVE WENT TO AUCTION AND THE LATEST WAS 32,000. I HAVE TRIED TO FIND ANOTHER BOOKPLATE THAT HE HAS DONE AND THERE IS NONE ONE PERSON SAID THAT IT COULD BE THE ONLY EXISTING BOOKPLATE BY HIM .NOW DO I SELL IT FOR THE ART ,OR THE BOOKPLATE BECAUSE PEOPLE COLLECT THEM. OR FOR THE WHOLE BOOK I CAN USE SOME DIRECTION ON WHERE TO GO FROM HERE THANK YOU .PAUL  

Answer
Contact Sotheby's Auction house online and ask the same question.

In the meantime, look on eBay and spend about six weeks seeing if anything like this turns up and what they go for.

you should sell it for the book WITH an original bookplate signed by EH Blashfield.  A first edition with the added bonus of a rare bookplate.

Look up all of the different names you have and mark them as favorite searches on eBay and then keep your eyes peeled until you get a feel for what it is you have and what it can go for.

At such a high value, I wouldn't try to auction it myself on eBay but would try to get Sotheby's involved.

Hope this steers you in the right direction.

Thank you for asking.

Please remember to rate all answers and nominate your expert for expert of the month. We all donate our time here and the only "payment" we receive is the satisfaction of knowing our answers were read and appreciated.

Alison McMahon Johnson