Fine Art/E. Stellmacher, Pottery

Question
Hi, Dolly....I gave you the great eview you so richly deserve on April 30th.....I realize that a pottery piece may not be your cup of tea , but Stellmacher's bust of a Bedouin Sheik would astound you.  I own it, and have owned it since 1960. It has been authenticated in 1960 ,and more recently at the Antiques Roadshow.  What I am struggling with , is its value.  It'a a magnificent piece ,signed , and marked etc. etc with hallmarks of the pottery.  The piece is beautifully colored and his face is so gorgeous you could fall in love with the man.  His eyes pierce right thru you.....that's more than the statue of DAVID does with no clothes on.

Again, its the value that escapes me. It's like a piece of stock that I would like to put a STOP LOSS on.  Altho, I might have high expectations, I don't want to be unrealistic.  Now, remember I am the old lady that wants to take that cruise around the world.....

thanks for your patience with me.....I love your work....Dee

Answer
Dear Dee,

Thank you for your kind comments. As you mentioned, ceramic is not something I normally work with. I did some research on your Stellmacher bust, but I was not able to find another example of Bedouin Sheik. The only examples are busts of his beautiful nouveau women which are in a wide range of value between $1500-3500.

What value did the Antique Roadshow give it at the time? Do you remember the expert you worked with and the gallery/auction house they are associated with? You may also want to contact dealers who specialize in Amphora, and particularly Stellmacher ceramics. I have listed the websites of a few below for your convenience.

I am sorry I cannot be of more assistance. I do want to suggest that if you list it on eBay, make sure your seller puts a reserve and ships worldwide as I predict your sculpture will have more international interest. I would love to see photos if you have any available to send via email. Send to dolly12@aol.com

Best regards,
Dolly

www.jasonjacques.com
www.thehouseofamphora.com

Dolly D Headley