Fine Art/ALL EXPERTS ~Need help to identify oil painting using odd signature

Mr. Hynes,

Hello, how are you?  My question pertains to an  oil painting, or at least what I think is an oil painting, that my mother bought at an estate sale approximately 20 years ago.  It is a large painting in a frame (approx. measurements are 34" X 26.5" in the frame).  The painting itself is rough to the touch and appears to be painted on some sort of canvas.  It does have a signature, however, it appears to be written in some sort of foreign writing.   It is a beautiful painting of a ship as seen through a cave and I would love to figure out who the artist is.

If you can find the time, I would appreciate if you could take a look at my photos and possibly help me figure out the artist and/or history of this painting.  Please let me know when you are available and I will email you the photos.  Thank you in advance for your time.  Take Care

Dear Diana, Please follow the instructions below.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image under 800 pixels, and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don't include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.