Fine Art/Edward W. Sharland etching

While I was visiting St. John, New Brunswick a few weeks ago, I picked up an etching by E. Sharland in an old thrift shop. I don't know much about the artist or his market value. The piece appears to be in an original frame with a label which states the work as "The Old Curiosity Shop". Do you know anything about the etching or artist?

ANSWER: Hello Lily, St John is a beautiful area of Canada.  According to Heaton's, a terrific shop in Tisbury, Wiltshire U.K. "Edward W. Sharland b. Bristol, fl. 1911 - 25, was a Bristol architectural and landscape etcher and a full member of the Fine Art Trade Guild. His etchings were exhibited in Liverpool, Bristol and at the Royal West of England Academy and the Royal Academy, London. He specialized in both colour and black and white etchings, many pieces of Sharland's work were published in London by either Frost and Reed or Bell. Several of his etchings were also published in both London and New York by Charles Klackner. His etchings include scenes of cities in France, Italy, Spain, Belgium and Holland as well as views of cities such as London, Liverpool, Manchester with many west country views and Bristol."

Quality examples of his prints usually sell for between $150.00 and $250.00 framed.

Cheers, Brent

QUESTION: Thank you for the info! One last question... the etching has a brownish looking spot on it. I don't know if it is from mold and I haven't taken it out of the frame. Should I leave it as is or take it to be looked at? I've heard horror stories of people "repairing" art and then devaluing their piece. Suggestions?

Hello Lily,  You are welcome.  Your etching is showing signs of 'foxing.' Check out this website for a great explanation .  I would not be concerned about it in the prints you asked about for they are of low value and the cost to conserve them would be more than they are worth.  Ensuring the mats and backing touching the work are acid free helps a lot to ensure works do not deteriorate over time.

Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.