Fine Art/Emile Bellet

Question
I recently went on a cruise and attended an art auction held by Park West
Gallery. I fell in love with the artist Emile Bellet. To my surprise, I actually
purchased 3 of his lithographs. I know nothing about art and this was
my first real art purchase. (I'm actually ordering your book to learn) I
have 3 questions. Is Bellet an artist worth collecting? Are cruise auctions
really as good as they say they are? And is Park West reputable? I'd like
to get a hand embellished lithograph for my next purchase. All 3 works I
purchased are hand signed and numbered with a COA. Any advice is
great appreciated. Thanks.  

Answer
Amber:  in no particular order--Park West is reputable, been around for over thirty years, with a highly visible gallery outside Detroit, and doing hundreds of land auctions a year as well as on ships.  [I did some ship auctions for them a decade ago!]
I don't know the artist--Park West is constantly adding new faces to their group.  The chances of "unknowns" being good investments are not usually good.  For investment, I recommend the "brand names" [masters with international reputations and markets].  As to value, you don't do worse at cruise auctions than you would at a gallery, and you often do better.  The key to buying art in my opinion: buy what you love and you'll never regret it.  Enjoy the art and thanks for buying the book--I think you'll enjoy it and find it extremely helpful.  Good luck.  Alan.

Alan Klevit