Fine Art/Etching?

Question
I have a framed picture of a girl and two cows in black and white.The girl carries a pail and looks to be a milk maid or something of the kind. She wears a bonnet. It has a signature of ED with a heart inbetween the two letters. It appears to be an ink etching of some kind. My mother said it was old. It also has a date of  '78 under the initials. Can you help me identiry the artist?

Answer
Dear Connie,

I hope this finds you well in health and spirit. If original; your print is indeed an engraving. It is called “Jersey” and is after a painting done by Edwin Douglas, (1849-1914), from Findon, West Sussex, U.K. It the first painting from a series known as “The Channel Island Series”

According to Valerie Martin; (Ms. Martin is from his home, Findon Village and maintains a website where I have extracted the information in this response); the engraving of your image was done by Alfred Clarence Alais, and published by Messrs Graves. It was very successful, “especially in America where the proofs fetched between three and four times as much as their originally published price.” I encourage you to visit Ms.Martin’s website for more information on Edwin Douglas. She is a wonderful storyteller and has many anecdotes on the artist’s life. Her website is: www.findonvillage.com.

If your print is an original engraving; I believe it is of great value as the majority of the artists' work on the internet are reproduction prints or modern restrikes after the engraving. Other works by the artist sell for over $1000; but I cannot locate an original “Jersey”; arguably one of his most desirable works.

You may want to contact one of the major auction houses such as Sothebys or Christies for an estimate of value. They will take images via email and you can get their contact information on their respective websites: www.sothebys.com and www.Christies.com.  

It is a wonderful piece of art. If it is in old framing, please consider taking it to a professional conservator for archival preservation and reframing in non-acidic materials.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley