Fine Art/Ettore Forti

Question
Mr. Hynes,

I have a painting that hung in my mothers (she's 95) house for as long as I can remember, I was told my grandmother brought it when she lived in Italy (Rome) where she was a opera singer around the 1890's.It's signature is Ettore Forti and under his signature is ROMA. The painting is of Roman women getting water from a well. Carved in the marble above the fountain or well is the name FONS DIANAE. The size of the painting is with frame 35-1/2 wide x 24-1/2 high.
What is the best route to take to determine if the painting is an original? The painting has always been under glass so I can't tell if it's on canvas or paper, looking closer it does not look like a print I can see paint. If its a lithograph it has a lot of color and paint is thick on the surface in many places so I don't think its that. I am afraid to take it apart because of doing damage so any direction would be appreciated.

I thank you for your time in this matter and look forward to hearing from you,

Theresa Bennett
Chicago

Answer
Dear Terry, For proper identification it would really be best to remove the painting from the frame, or at least remove whatever paper or board is backing the painting. You can send jpg images to my email pirround@msn.com
Images of the front, the back, and close-ups of the signature and any inscriptions or labels would be best.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes