Fine Art/European Painting

Question
Good Afternoon,
 I was helping my mother and father move this weekend and found an oil painting, it was signed A. Spencer and on the back of the frame in pencil it read " English painter, A. Spencer 1946 Met. Art Museum A Sommerset Cottage"
 I was curious if this was anything of interest. They purchased the piece when they lived in Italy in the early 60's it's is a very soft painting with quite a bit or light...
 I could not find the artist anywhere when I used search engines on his or her name or the title. I was wondering if you could help.

Answer
Dear Erika,

I think I may have found your artist. There was an English artist by the name of Augustus Spencer (1860-1924), who painted landscapes, particularly cottages. Other paintings by him are called Sussex Cottage and Berkshire Cottage. I can email you a photo of Sussex Cottage to compare the style to your painting. The signature is clear and you should be able to compare the signatures as well. He signed as A. Spencer. The notation of the Met and name of the painting may indicate it was a deaccession by the Metropolitan Art Museum in 1946. You may email me your email address to: dolly12@aol.com.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley