Fine Art/Fine Art Treasures Fraud Follow up

OK. Nothing else to do but hope that people hear of this new development either on this site or by other means... Certainly there are those that will benefit from an attorney, especially if they can offset the attorney fees by recouping their money. Somewhere out there are many who lost upwards of $20,000 or more on some "original one of a kind Dali drawings" that I could not imagine were real at that price. If people want authentic works by the Masters they should go to a reputable dealer or gallery and insist on clear and irrefutable provenance back to when the work was produced. You can get good bargains on fine art, but typically those are up and coming contempory artist's works (they are still living and could easily refute anyone selling fakes).  Thanks again for helping out.

Followup To

Question -
I agree that the legal aspect it is not your expertise. From what I have read you do a great job assisting folks on matters of fine art. I am sure that those who were unfortunate to have been defrauded by Fine Art Treasures will appreciate your assisting by pointing them in a direction that may provide help to investigators attempting to bring them to justice. Without necessarily needing an attorney, this may provide an avenue for the victims to not only assist in convicting Fine Art Treasures of wrong doing, but it may also lead to the victims receiving possible restitution from the court. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

p.s. I just saw the most recent entry into your site by "Robert". Clearly, as you stated the Picasso work he bought from F.A.T. is a fake/reproduction. Check out and find that they sell such things directly for only several hundred dollars. Fine Art Treasures was turning these pieces around on their auction for upwards of $5000! Robert may be fortunate enough to catch it in time and challenge it with VISA for a refund.  

Followup To

Question -
I was not asking the same question again. I was offering a follow up to our previous interaction and new information regarding the dubious dealings of Fine Art Treasures tv auction and their being investigated for fraud by the FBI. experts have had quite a few questions regarding them over the years and many of these folks who bought from them were undoubtedly ripped off. Having the information to contact the LAPD might be helpful for these folks receiving possible restitution. It's too bad you chose to be dismissive and cursory by not responding officially, thereby preventing it from being published in your list of previous questions and as a result not providing the information to folks who might read it and benefit from it. If you need it in the form of a question, here it is: do you think people who have bought possible fakes from Fine Arts Treasures have any recourse? In case you change your mind and decide to assist these people here is the link again: Los Angeles Police Department's Art Crime Team; (213) 485-2524.

Answer -
Van--sorry you jumped to the conclusion that I was being dismissive and cursory.  It seemed redundant to me.  I have certainly provided significant information regarding this terrible issue over the past months.  As for recourse, you might not agree with me, but it is a question for an attorney, not a retired art dealer.  And I have no problem assisting any way I can.  I hope you don't find this dismissive.  Alan.

Answer -
Okay, Van, we are on the same page.  If I were one of the victims, I would contact the number you provided.  I will, too.  I am not sure what else you expect me to do.    Alan.

ps--If I were a victim, I still would hire an attorney for recourse.

You are welcome, Van, and thanks to you for the dialogue you created with me that might benefit others.  At the risk of sounding self-serving, my latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, a mere 80 pages and $16, deals specifically with the pitfalls and fraudulent practices I noticed on TV and online.  Quite a few people have written to me, thanking me for it and for saving them grief and money.  It is available at, Barnes & Noble, and a summary of it is at  Again, thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding earlier.  Alan Klevit.

Alan Klevit

I can provide sound advice on buying, collecting & understanding fine art, especially original works by 20th century masters and leading contemporary artists. I can also explain techniques used to create original works and offer tips on how to tell whether or not a piece is an original work of art.

I have been active in the art world for twenty-seven years. I owned and operated four galleries and a wholesale showroom on both coasts. We specialized in original works by 20th century masters and emerging artists. I have been an art consultant, artist's representative, lecturer, auctioneer, and curator. I had a radio show for two years, "Today's Art World with Alan Klevit" [Washington, D.C.]; hosted two television shows on the arts for six years [Los Angeles Area]; have written for numerous local papers and international art magazines; and currently write a syndicated column, "The Art Beat." I conduct art auctions for charities throughout the United States, and am a frequent speaker/auctioneer on upscale cruise ships, and at civic organizations and local television shows.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees from Georgetown University and The American University