Fine Art/Fine Artist Seeking Representation Advice

Question
Dear Mr. Klevit:

I am an artist who has been in "hiding" and have now decided it is time to burst forth from my cocoon, have faith in my God given skills, and trust that with true effort I will be able to love my occupation and truely survive through my art. What routes would you suggest I take to secure an experienced Fine Art Rep? At this time I am begining to create lithograph editions, for the collectors who are seeking originals.  I have a slide show on my website would allow you to see my skills, variations, and styles. Thank you in advance for your feedback/response.

Sincerely,

Yolanda K Jones
www.artworkzbyoyo.info
www.myspace.com/ykjones

Answer
Yolanda--I looked at your art and you are certainly talented.  Your market, I think, would be a "niche" market, rather than mainstream.  Nothing wrong with that.  Finding a good rep is as much luck and accident as anything else.  I lived in the LA area for 18 years, and your art might be interesting to galleries in Santa Monica and Venice--rep yourself to them--and let them talk three times as much as you do.  The feedback can be valuable.  Art Business is a magazine that often has reps seeking artists in the Classifieds, another route you can try.  Finally, there are outdoor shows weekly in the area, and exhibit your work in them.  Let the public see your work and again, listen to their response to your work.  Also, art dealers and reps attend those shows[I did], so you never know!  It is an arduous task, worthwhile, because the journey is as rewarding as the end.  I admire your willingness to step forward into the fray.  As a writer, I know exactly what you feel.  Good luck.  Alan.

Alan Klevit