Fine Art/Fine art... un-signed art... Satyr

Question
I've aquired a painting estate dividing. Don't know much about it, but it's old. Appears to be Venus and Mars, Satyr with a flute, a lion skin. They are lying under a tree.
Painting is oil, canvas has 2 repairs on the back, frame has wedges holding canvas on. Painting is 37" X 42".
Here is a link to the pictures I've posted.
http://home.comcast.net/~openearth/art/art.htm
tommy

Answer
Dear Tommy, The painting is definitely a copy. Sorry to say, the artist had no concept of anatomy. The shape and positions of the torsos and limbs are awful, the foreshortening is equally poor. Only the background landscape has any merit at all. I would try to trade this for something else in the estate.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes