You are here:

Fine Art/Frame and watercolor


I have a wood frame by E. B. Courvoisier (16 1/2 x 12 1/2) that contains a watercolor(11 1/2 x 7 1/2) by H. Hochholzer. It is signed and dated 1897.The painting depicts a lake scene with a man paddleing a canoe.On the back of the frame is a tag that reads E. B. Courvoisier,Frame Maker,354 SutterSt., Phone Red 1327.  What can you tell me about the framemaker and the artist.  I know a little about Courvoisier but cannot find anything about the painter. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dear Joe, Having a little familiarity with German I recognized immediately that Hochholzer translates to Highwood. I checked several dictionaries of artists including two of German artists, no listing for any "Hochholzer." However, I did find a Conrad Hochholzer in "Who Was Who in American Art", it said see listing for Highwood. It shows Conrad Highwood (born Germany, died Providence,RI), portrait and landscape painter active 1850s through 1890,s. Spent most of his career in Detroit and Chicago.
There is another listing for Charles H. Highwood (born Germany, died U.S.1885)portrait and landscape painter, came to U.S. in 1848. Spent his career in New York and Chicago. Everything indicates to me that these were brothers, and perhaps one went by H. Highwood or C.H. Highwood.

Fine Art

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Daniel A. Hynes


Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.


35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.

©2017 All rights reserved.