Fine Art/Franklin Tuttle paintings

Question
I belong to a local historical society.  The society owns several paintings by Franklin Tuttle (some signed/dated, some not).  How can the society find the value of these paintings (for insurance purposes)?  We are in rural Michigan.

Answer
I do appraisals for the Pennsylvania Appraisal Association. I also am going through the American Society of Appraisers but haven't taken the final exam as of yet. So for that organization, I am a candidate still. I don't do appraisals based on photos due to discrepancies in photos and the seeing them in person. I would still love to see these pieces. If you are interested, could you send me photos? info@griffinsgallery.com Thanks, Joe.

The following information was submitted in April of 2006 by  Donna M. Walker, who owns a painting  dated 1894 and signed by Franklin Tuttle:

Research: Albert Elkins, Designer, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C.
Franklin Tuttle b. 1866 – died?
A 1929 article: “Franklin Tuttle painted New York worthies of forty years ago.  Exhibition of historical portraits of past presidents of Union League Club including Hoppin, FL. Olmsted, Hamilton Fish, John Jay, etc. General Grant and Lincoln."

Exhibited: National Academy of Design, 1888, 1890

New York Historical Society note from Eric Robison, Reference Assistant:

An artist Franklin Tuttle is mentioned twice in the New York Times:  1) A 12 January 1894 Article in the Times mentions a painting by a Franklin Tuttle—A Corner in the Union League Club” which includes six portraits of clubmen.

2) A 19 September 1893 Times article describes an historically themed painting hanging in the Hotel New Netherland. According to the article, Franklin Tuttle was a well-known New York artist living at the time the article was published.  Quote from article: “Mr. Tuttle spent six months in the study and preparation of his picture and has thrown into the painting, apart from the accuracy of the historic detail, a vast amount of excellent artist work.”  

Franklin Tuttle
Title    Lady wearing a mantilla
Medium    Oil on Canvas
Size    24 x 20 in. / 61 x 50.8 cm.
Misc.    Signed
Sale Of    Neal Auction Company: Saturday, December 5, 1998 [Lot 840]
Holiday Estates Auction (Lots 360-1195)
Estimate    800 - 1,200 US$
Sold For    BOUGHT IN  

Joseph B. Laskowski