Fine Art/George Romney

Question
Hello
I acquired a painting sometime ago from an auction listed as Circle of Fuseli, listed as follows
Classical standing male nude and horse; pen and black and brown ink and wash on laid, 42x35cm.

However, I decided to re-frame the piece and have uncovered inscriptions on the bcak, there is a signature (very faint) G. Romney and another more recent inscription Romney and to the top right of the back there is a number.
It does look more Fuseli than Romney but I wondered whether you could tell me how to or if it is possible to authenticate this piece.
Thank you and Regards
Lee

Answer
Dear Lee, The artworks of Romney and Fuseli both are well documented. If your piece has not previously been recorded then it becomes very difficult to authenticate. You would need to contact the curator or keeper of prints and drawings at a major art museum, such as the Tate Gallery or the Victoria & Albert. They receive so many inquiries that you may get no results. Getting any artwork authenticated is nearly impossible unless you have provenance (history of ownership)all the way back to the artist.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes