Fine Art/George Romney

Question
Hello Mr. Hynes,
I was wondering if you could help me identify whether or not I have an original Romney.  It is a painting of a woman "Miss Graham".  It is framed in a tortoiseshell frame 5 3/4" x 4 3/4", with an oval center.  The thickness of the frame is 1/2".  The glass part of the frame is 3 1/2" x 2 3/4" and bows out.  With a magnifying glass, I can make out the signature of the last name as Romney (there may be an initial before it, but it's hard to make it out. On the back is material, with a paper stamp in the top left corner, the stamp size being 1 3/8" x 1", with the number 28852 handwritten in black, across the top of the stamp, and underneath it is written Miss Graham, in the same ink.  We had an antiques appraiser look at some items, and when we showed him this, although he didn't appraise art, he did say it was handpainted. Thank you for your help.  I look forward to hearing from you.  

Answer
Dear Elaine, I would not be able to identify your painting as a work by the British artist George Romney (1734-1802), as he was very popular and a number of artists emulated his work. You can find many images of his work online, even miniatures, to compare to yours. If you feel it may still be a Romney, you should contact the Tate Gallery in London, they will direct you where to send images and information.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes