Fine Art/Giclee

Question
Hi Alan, I have enjoyed reading your expert comments on many questions. This one is not so specific, but still is one that has put me in a quandry. I was in an art gallery on the west coast a few weeks ago and being an Interior Designer, I was looking for some pieces for a client that had Italian Landscapes. I found a few "oils" that were very nice, but the price seemed too low. We were then given a long explanation of the method of "Giclee"? not sure if I am spelling it right. The owner of the gallery said that this method is replacing lithography and the artist works from each copy to bring it to the original level, then signs it. The original (30x36) went for $7,650.00 and the Giclee version for $2,800.00. What do you make of this?

Answer
Nabila-- you should look up giclee on Wikepedia.  It is a computer generated reproduction.  Yes, the artist can play with it with a good etalier, even changing colors completely.  Publishers like them because they can be printed as needed, rather than spending for an entire edition which might not sell.  Good ones look good.  It depends on your client.  If the client can't really tell the difference then the giclee is just fine, like a good simulated diamond over the real thing.  Personally, I prefer originals.

Alan Klevit