Fine Art/Hamilton print

I recently got an original print of a (very cute) terrier, the title is "Who said "Cats"? and it is in an old gilded frame. The actual print is 5 3/4 by 8 3/4 tall,  and it is signed "Hamilton". It seems to be in the style of William Henry Hamilton Trood, it is hand signed and titled in pencil. The print itself is stuck onto a matt of some sort, it's been in the damp too. Any value?

Dear Brenda,

Very good guess on your print as Trood created animal related images. However, I cannot locate such an image by Trood or any by an artist of the name Hamilton. Maybe you are reading the signature incorrectly? Is the image of a small terrier sitting on the seat cushion of an armchair? It sounds like it is an etching by Cecil Aldin, (1870-1933) of the same title. The actual plate image not including margins should be approximately 6 x 4 inches.

Cecil Aldin is famous for his sporting art and drawings of his many dogs. His original works command solid prices. If yours is an original Aldin with his signature; (the edition release of this engraving was 150. Without a number, but with an original pencil signature; your engraving may represent an artist proof); I estimate its value could be over $1000. There are no current retail examples on the internet but one sold at auction (wholesale), in 1998 for $520. Considering your print may have moisture damage, it will value at a reduced price depending on the degree of damage. You may want to invest in a professional opinion of restoration.

If this does not sound like your print, please feel free to send me photos of the image and signature to:

Best regards,

To readers of this information on the internet: Please do not send photos and questions on your art to my personal email address listed in this forum without prior request from me through or my private consulting service. I cannot provide free evaluations or answer questions that do not come through allexperts due to the time it takes to research and respond. I accept up to five questions a day from allexperts and request you utilize their format if you are seeking free advice. Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.