Fine Art/Harrison Fisher Original

Question
Hi Dolly,

I sent an email via hotmail regarding a drawing we have of a Salvation Army Girl by Harrison Fisher. We are considering selling it but are not sure of the value. If you could give us an idea I would be eternally grateful. I sent an image via the hotmail also. If you need me to resend anything please let me know. Thanks! Stacy

ps OH! It's about 9x12 inches

Answer
Dear Stacy,

What a classy piece of art! My first thought is that you should have it authenticated and then market it to the Salvation Army Museum. It would make a fantastic addition to their collection.

I agree with your thoughts that it is a sketch for a Salvation Army advertisement. Fisher did many commissions for them. However, I cannot locate any original Fisher sketches of Salvation Army images having been sold at auction.

Your provenance of being traceable to a personal relationship between your Grandfather and Fisher is of great advantage in the valuation of your drawing.

My suggestion is that you document the drawings history. Then find a certified art appraiser in your area that is qualified for Harrison Fisher and have the drawing appraised. Value of the drawing is whatever a collector is willing to pay, but the last auction (reflects wholesale value), for a Fisher original drawing was $1700.00. However, in my personal opinion your drawing may draw collectors of not only the artist; but the organization-The Salvation Army. It would be very difficult to place a value without comparables. If you decide to sell the drawing, a major auction house may be able to give you an estimated auction value.

May I say again, it is a wonderful drawing, and a worthy addition to any Harrison Fisher or Salvation Army art collection.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley