Fine Art/Harrison Fisher Painting

I have a Harrison Watercolor but I am unsure if it is a copy. It is old from the at least 1920 or so and is somewhat yellowed. It is signed with the correct signature of Harrison Fisher but has another name on it as well. At first we thought this was the real person that painted it, a copy but then I looked up the name " Mae Merritt" was Babe Ruth's 2nd Wife and also found out she posed for Harrison Fisher. I have found this painting in the form of prints and none of the old prints have the other name on it "Mae Merritt" which makes me wonder how did they know it was her. Anyway I will send you some pics when you get back to me Dave. The photos are not too good as it is not in my possesion yet but will be in a week or so. Thanks! I will definetely leave you a good reference! Jim.  

Dear Jim,

My first impression from your information is that since you were able to find the image as a print, you most likely have an original lithograph rather than the original painting . I have not found a double signed print of his and believe Fisher did not routinely hand sign prints. I too have a fine Harrison lithograph that appears very much like a watercolor/gouache and it is difficult to distinquish from an original drawing.

However, the use of Claire Mae Merritt's middle name on the drawing/print is intriquing and does give credence that the image was held by someone familiar to either Fisher or Merritt. I have some questions that may be clarified by your images you send to me, such as is the writing similar in style to Fisher's distinctive hand writing? Is is done with the same ink? Is it at the bottom near the image or somewhere else on the paper? Basically, does it look contempory to Fisher's signature?

The other information that leans me towards print is the fact that most of his original paintings were destroyed, ( per his request), by Fisher's friend who inherited his art. She kept the paintings she liked and ended up destroying over 800 pieces of his work. This adds to the rarity of finding his original work.

If you can send me images to, I will be take a look and see if I can get more information. Also, please send a link to the image you found, (I assume on the internet). I hope I am able to help.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.