Fine Art/Help Identifying a painting

Oriental lady in doorway
Oriental lady in doorw  
I recently found a painting in an antique shop.  I have attached a picture of it.  I know nothing about art, but am a lover of Middle Eastern dance and art. All the dealer said is that it is from the early 19th century.  It appears to be painted on some type of textile.  It is very large.  Can't really depend on her knowledge of the piece because when I inquired about it, she referred to it as a "victorian lady"!  

While surfing the net for Middle Eastern dance related images, I came across the very painting I am purchasing.

Hello Donna,

Is it an original work, actually painted or some type of reproduction?  It is in the manner of Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema 1836 - 1912 but it could also be by a more contemporary artist copying Tadema's style.  What size is the work?  Are there any labels or markings on the back or the frame?

Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.