Fine Art/Help in identifying artist and age of oil painting

A friend of mine a large oil painting (about 30" x 40") of several horses in a riding arena. The painting was purchased from the estate of Harry Mangurian, Jr. of Ocala, Florida. He was the former owner of the Boston Celtics and a famous horse breeder. The signature of the artist looks like "Maffuit" but it is hard to tell. I have digital photos of the painting and the signature, but am not sure now to attach them to this form. He would like to know the name of the artist and approximate age. Thank you.

Dear Craig,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do not research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.