Fine Art/Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

Question
I have recently come into possession of a Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec poster of Jane Avril. My mom gave it to me, and she had bought it from an older women several years ago, who had received it from her aunt in the 1940's. I am just curious to find out if it is a lithograph or what...There are raises in the ink on the paper, it doesn't seem like it was all just printed out or something. Is there any special way I can find out how authentic it is by myself, or should I bring it into an Art Gallery or Art framing place..?? Also, I know this may be a stretch, but do you know of any places in Winter Park, FL that may know a lot about Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec? Thank You so much for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Answer
Dear Samantha,

As you have probably found out, there are numerous editions of this poster/lithograph. The original poster was released in 1893 and was approximately 50 x 36 inches. Another early printing size is approximately 21 5/8x14 ĺ inches. It was released in 1899.  Prices for early lithographs run from $20,000-100,000.

Probably the best place to start is the Morse Museum of American Art in your town of Winter Park. Someone there should be able to tell you the type of print that you have.  If not them, try a high end gallery in Winter Park. Once it is determined you have an original lithograph, you will want to take the next step and determine when and who printed your particular poster.  Most of the printings of any real value are imprinted with the printerís marks or name. Does yours have any such markings?

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley