Fine Art/Henry Mosler Print

Question
I have an old print? 30"x42 Birth of the American flag. Any Idea on the worth

Answer
Dear George,

If your print is after a painting done in 1912 by Henry Mosler, it is actually titled “The Birth of the Flag”. There are several well known images of Betsy Ross with the first flag and one in particular depicting Betsy Ross showing the flag to Washington and others is titled “The Birth of Our Nation’s Flag”. If yours is by Mosler, it will have one lady standing holding the flag and three other ladies seated sewing.

I find no record of Henry Mosler creating an engraving or lithograph of his famous painting that now hangs in the Georgetown University Library. I did locate the sale of a print of this image printed in 1935. However, the size does not match your description. You mentioned yours as 30 x 42 inches and the one I found was much smaller.  

Since I cannot personally examine your print for type, (lithograph or engraving), or estimated age, I cannot tell you exactly what you have. Whatever it is, it is rare as I can find no other like it. My suggestion is you take it to a local museum for identification and occasionally search EBay for another that may show up at auction. You may also want to contact the Georgetown Univ. Library to see if they are familiar with it.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley