Fine Art/Henry Mosler Print

I have an old print? 30"x42 Birth of the American flag. Any Idea on the worth

Dear George,

If your print is after a painting done in 1912 by Henry Mosler, it is actually titled “The Birth of the Flag”. There are several well known images of Betsy Ross with the first flag and one in particular depicting Betsy Ross showing the flag to Washington and others is titled “The Birth of Our Nation’s Flag”. If yours is by Mosler, it will have one lady standing holding the flag and three other ladies seated sewing.

I find no record of Henry Mosler creating an engraving or lithograph of his famous painting that now hangs in the Georgetown University Library. I did locate the sale of a print of this image printed in 1935. However, the size does not match your description. You mentioned yours as 30 x 42 inches and the one I found was much smaller.  

Since I cannot personally examine your print for type, (lithograph or engraving), or estimated age, I cannot tell you exactly what you have. Whatever it is, it is rare as I can find no other like it. My suggestion is you take it to a local museum for identification and occasionally search EBay for another that may show up at auction. You may also want to contact the Georgetown Univ. Library to see if they are familiar with it.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.