Fine Art/Henry Stull - Racehorse - Almont

Dear Mr Hynes:

I own a chromolithigraph of a painting done by Henry Stull (in 1881). The horse's name is "Almont".  However, after extensive research on the internet, I can find no mention whatsoever of this particular painting, or for a horse of that name.  Can you shed any light on this horse?  Or on the apparent rarity of this particular Stull lithograph?

Thanks a million for your time.

Dear Chip, Prints are not in my area of expertise, however I have a little information on the horse. In 1874 Col. Richard West of "Edge Hill", near Georgetown, Kentucky, sold his leading trotting stallion "Almont" to Gen. William Temple Withers of Lexington. Col. West was a successful breeder and numbered among his friends some of the most influential gentlemen of the country.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.