Fine Art/Herman Darvick - COA

Question
QUESTION: My wife purchased a Chagall print or lithograph in a large gold and silver frame with Herman Darvick COA on the back. From what I've read it is only Chagall's autograph that is of any value in that Darvick is an autograph collector. What can you tell me about this and its value. Thank you

ANSWER: Herman Darvick was the president of an autograph collectors club. I know some of his autographs have sold for quite a bit of money. While he is considered an expert in autographs and works with a company that sells sports and other types of autographs, I recommend a proper authenticity and appraisal for your work. The paper, watermark, edition number and other things have to be examined. Are you trying to sell it?

Dan

QUESTION: Not trying to sell it just wondered if my wife bought something of any value. I read a statement by Darvick that the pictures are basically taken out of an art book and he or someone had chagall sign it then he put it in a nice frame. What's a ballpark quess on a chagall autograph - a few hundred perhaps? Thank you for your reply

Answer
I would imagine the buyer would be looking at the entire work and not just the signature, but It would seem that if the works of Chagall sell in the thousands, then the value of a signature would be in the hundreds or up to the buyer and seller. Salvador Dali's signature with a small crown over the I sold for $2500.00 a few years ago.

Dan

Dan Twyman