Fine Art/Heywood Hardy

Hello. I have an original charcoal painting dated on back 1901 as a gift. It is signed Heywood Hardy 1880 but appears to have been done by someone signed A E M in picture and on back written Anne E Mathewson C n L T. I am not sure if she touched up his work or if it was hers of a picture of his. It is titled Thorough Bred. The frame has old square nails and a three wooden board backing with metal ornate add on corners to the wooden frame. any help on where to sell this or how to find out if it is a Heywood Hardy. ANy help on the value as even if it is not his work it is a great equestrian piece of art. also could you tell me if you know what the initials CnLT would have implied. i do have many photos to send. thanks. m

Dear Mello,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do not research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.