Fine Art/Identification & care of paintings

Question
In relation to the painting, I have a nice one with a man & woman (settlers?) in front of a ranch set by a creek side at the bottom of a bluff with a large snow capped peak at top center. I think that the tree in teh center of the painting is a birch. Also, there is a person with a small herd of cattle walking up a road to the left.

There doesn't appear to be any brush strokes but it is on canvass.

There is no signature, and I don't know the best way to research identification. Can you help me?

As for caring for it, there are some brown marks on the sky and i was wondering how to try (if at all) to get them cleaned off.

I have a black and white JPEG of the picture, but it is 200KB, which I noticed is larger than the size files you would prefer. The color file was even larger.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Answer
Dear John,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image under 800 pixels, and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at pirround@msn.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.
Cordially,
Dan  

Daniel A. Hynes