Fine Art/Identify Artist

I am in possession of a beautiful watercolor landscape scene signed "Croft"  After some research, all I can find is very little information on an artist named Lewis Scott Croft (1911-1980).  The examples of his work I found are oils and most were abstract.  But his signed name of "Croft" on the ones where I can read it look pretty much the same as mine.  Did this Lewis Croft do any work in watercolors?  Any information/direction you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Dear William, Most of the artwork of Lewis Croft would fall into the post-1940 area, which I do not research. My reference library does not include contemporary artists. I did search several "Annual Art Price Index" volumes (auction records)and find no listing for anything by Lewis Croft. Many painters in oil or acrylic will also paint in watercolor. These may be finished works or even studies for later oil paintings.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.