Fine Art/Identify an Artist

I have come into posession of two paintings and I am trying to identify the artist from the signature and whether the paintings are dutch or english. The paintings show both sides of a river mouth. You can see one of the paintings on and the signature on Any help in identifying this would be appreciated.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your question. The painting appears to be of a 19th Century Dutch harbor. I cannot make out the signature. It appears to me as W. Dahn....?

Can you send a photo of the signature on the second painting? It may be easier for me to read. If so; email it to:; or post on a site as the other painting and I will take a look.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.