Fine Art/Identifying Unknown Artist

Hello    I have an original painting that was a wedding present to my Grandparents in the late 1800s.     Appears to be a midwest (USA) mountain scene. The painting is not signed?    Our family has often wondered if it would be possible to identify the artist.    If this is something you could help with please let me know what information you would need. I do have JPEGS.    Thanks  Al Rodine  Dawson Creek BC

Dear Al,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image under 800 pixels, and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.