Fine Art/Info and Value of Print

Question
I have a print by Gustave Henry Mosler of "The Lost Playmate".  I is different than some that I have seen on the net, the signature is in the right corner but there is no title at the bottom.  When looking at the back side of the print it appears to be on a newspaper, the article was written by H. Addington Bruce.  The print is very fragile so I am trying not to handle it, but there are no dates of publication on the news article. Any information is greatly appreciated

Answer
Hello Robin,

Thank you for your question. The Lost Playmate has got to be one of the saddest images I have ever seen. It breaks my heart. With that aside, I found that the author who wrote the article on the back of the picture is Henry Addington Bruce. He was born in 1874 and the first published work I can find by him is an article from1903 for a magazine called, “The Century Magazine”; published in New York. This would be a year after the publishing of the print by Raphael Tuck & Sons. Mosler was living in New York around the same time so it is possible that his image of The Lost Playmate may have been reproduced in The Century Magazine. I checked and it never appeared on the cover, but I cannot verify if any of his images ever appeared within the interior.  

If you can read any part of the article and it discusses the Hudson River, (the article title would be “Fighting the Hudson: An Unrecorded Adventure in the Construction of the Hudson River Tunnel”), then it is likely you have a page torn from the magazine in which they printed the image. If this does not fit, it could be from a later article in another magazine by Bruce. I can check on the date of the article if you give me the title or general subject.

If it is an original watercolor, you would most likely be able to see the difference of the effect on the paper as opposed to a printed lithograph in a magazine. If you feel you have an original piece of art, I suggest you take it to a local museum or art dealer for confirmation. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley