Fine Art/Information

I have a 24" x 18" oil painting said to be on horse hair backing in a very ornate victorian frame painting is an open walk bridge with lots of trees and it is signed I think this is correct M C Pier and the C has a small white dot in the curve at the top.Can you tell me anything about this.
Thank you for your time.

Dear Mary,

I have researched both possibilities according to your question; an artist by the initials M C and last name Pier, as well as McPier and have not come up with any artists that would fit your painting.

I cannot find anything on the use of horse hair for backing. Horse hair has been used in paint brushes, but the only reference on woven hair as a "cloth" was in reference to the making of early sieves.

I have over 3000 pieces of art and have many very fine quality paintings that were done by obviously accomplished artists that never gained recognition and remain unlisted.

If you can send me photos of the painting, as well as a clear image of the signature, I may be able to find something. It may be that you are not reading the signature correctly. My email address is

Thank you,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.