Fine Art/Jasper Johns Litho

Dear Allan

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. Actually I have a general problem buying art - I dont know how much to pay for the pieces. Is there any free web based databases besides ? Or maybe any books?

By the way - The Jasper Johns litho is now at $3300 i have not decided how far i would go yet.

I just bought an unsigned etching by james abbott mcneill whistler titled "the street at saverne" image is 6 1/4 x 8

I wanted it so the price was not important but still i would like to know if I made a good deal - I payed $800
What is your oppinion?

Best Regards, Soren
The text above is a follow-up to ...

Dear Allan Klevit

I have found a Jasper Johns Lithograph that I really like.

It is the 1975 "Ale Cans" and the work is 22 3/4" by 31 1/4 ". Number 20/41 and handsigned.

I hope you can help me with an estimate price for this piece - The condition is excellent! It is an auction so I just wanted to know how much I should pay for this litho.

Best Regards, Soren
Soren--In November 2005, an 'Ale Cans' lithograph in an edition of 41 sold at Christie's in New York for $4,500--a larger size piece.  A year earlier, a different 'Ale Cans' [a favorite subject of his] sold for $5,500.  Nothing on record since.  I suspect that his work has appreciated, as the past year has been a good one for fine art, so tack on a premium--say 10-15%, decide your maximum, based on its aesthetic value to you, and go for it.  Good luck.  Feel free to write and let me know the outcome.  Alan Klevit.

Check out Alan's latest book, "Art Collecting 101," at

Soren--you didn't get ripped off on the Whistler, and you didn't steal it,either.  Sounds within the retail range.
As for the JJ, I wouldn't go much higher, but, remember, if I can't "steal 'em" I pass!  

There are no books, because prices aren't static.  I subscribe to an international service which provides auction results, which limits me to info. on internationally recognized artists.  I also, as appropriate and when possible, call friends, as I am well connected in the art world.  On Johns, you could contact Sotheby's and ask if any of his works are coming up for auction [ditto for Christie's].  Good luck.  Alan.

Alan Klevit

I can provide sound advice on buying, collecting & understanding fine art, especially original works by 20th century masters and leading contemporary artists. I can also explain techniques used to create original works and offer tips on how to tell whether or not a piece is an original work of art.

I have been active in the art world for twenty-seven years. I owned and operated four galleries and a wholesale showroom on both coasts. We specialized in original works by 20th century masters and emerging artists. I have been an art consultant, artist's representative, lecturer, auctioneer, and curator. I had a radio show for two years, "Today's Art World with Alan Klevit" [Washington, D.C.]; hosted two television shows on the arts for six years [Los Angeles Area]; have written for numerous local papers and international art magazines; and currently write a syndicated column, "The Art Beat." I conduct art auctions for charities throughout the United States, and am a frequent speaker/auctioneer on upscale cruise ships, and at civic organizations and local television shows.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees from Georgetown University and The American University