Fine Art/John Marin

Mr. Hynes,
   I own a small oil painting by John Marin [American Painter, 1870-1953].  I'm interested in selling my painting however I know nothing of this process.  It has been my experience that any time one enters into a business transaction (especially one that may involve in excess of $100k)an ignorance of the general sales process, as well as the value of the item for sale can be very costly.  Simply put:  would you please walk me through a process by which I can identify an actual value for and then possibly sell, my art work without getting ripped off?  Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.  

Hi BC, I would be pleased to help you, however I am just leaving town for Father's Day and will return on Monday. Can you send the same inquiry to my email ?
If you could include size, where and how signed, any provenance (history of ownership), and possibly a jpg image under 100k, that would be very helpful. Make the subject line "allexperts" so I do not delete you as spam.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.