Fine Art/Julien Dupre

I own a small original oil painting by Julien Dupre it measures 12" by 6" can you tell me if this is valuable a dealer offered me Ł200 about $400. I thought it might be worth more then this.  

Victor Leon Dupré was the pupil and painting companion of his older brother Jules Dupré, the great landscape painter and key figure in the Barbizon group. Along with Rousseau, Corot, Troyon and his brother Jules, Victor entirely dedicated his work to his true love of the grandeur of Nature and joined the first generation of artists who glorified the "plein-air" technique (painting in the out of doors) and led the way to the Barbizon School starting in the late 1830's.
For a long time, Victor's work has been compared to his renowned brother but it is now recognized that Victor had a very personal touch and a unique choice of subjects. When Jules was setting his easel in the forest, Victor preferred marshes, ponds and village's edges. In addition, when Jules Dupré began to move away from the realism of his early work in the1850's, Victor remained committed to a more naturalistic vision.
Victor Dupré's regular submissions to the Salon de Paris secured him a deserved success (he was awarded a Third-Class Medal in 1849) and showed a real talent as a landscape painter. Like most Barbizonian painters, Victor Dupré was inspired by the Dutch Masters of the 17th Century and left a prominent place for the sky and clouds in his landscapes.

Jules Dupre
French 1811-1889

Jules Dupre was a member of the Barbizon School of Painting, a group of French painters who worked from the early 1830’s to the 1870’s. Boasting such artists as Narcisse Diaz, Theodore Rousseau, Constant Troyan and Jean Francois Millet, the group was primarily concerned with the depiction of landscape, influenced specifically by Dutch landscape painting of the seventeenth century and by the works of John Constable.

Jules Dupre, born in 1811, was the son of a porcelain manufacturer. His artistic career began at his father’s factory in Parmain, where, at the age of twelve, he had the job of decorating plates. When his father acquired another factory at Saint-Yrieix in Limosin, young Jules went with him, promptly falling in love with the landscape. He spent the next few years exploring the countryside in the region, devoting his time to what he saw in paint. He later went on to study painting with Jean Michel Diebolt, an Austrian who was a follower of De Marne. Dupre began to see nature with a new awareness of its moods, preferring to paint alone and en plein air. As an artist, he was particularly interested in bad weather, changes of light and sunsets.

Dupre exhibited at the Salon for the first time in 1831, and two years later won a second-class medal and attracted the attention of the press. It was around this time that he began associating with the other members of the Barbizon school, traveling first to England where he met and was exposed directly to the painting of Constable, Turner, and Richard Parkes Bonington. Dupre also painted in Normandy, Picardy, and Sologne, and traveled to the Landes and the Pyrenees with fellow painter Rousseau in 1844. After the members of the Barbizon group grew apart, Dupre retired to Isle-Adam, returning to Paris for a few years at the end of the seventies. He seldom exhibited his work in the later half of his life, opting more often to work alone and keep out of touch with his contemporaries.

Cotizations of both are around 3000.00-5000.00 and up but in auction houses. Here, the problem is the following: what you have is an original one? Or maybe…..a copy ? Or someone from same atelier, or maybe another Dupre. Dupre in France is like Scott in England or Lopez in Spain.
If  I could see it I would help you a lot.
Have a good day!

Hector H. Pinera

I have been researching, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century European Art (1880-1950) for the last 16 years. You could ask me any doubt you have about the most important Impressionist-Expressionist French-Spain painters. Including graphics/prints. I can answer questions in Spanish, too.

Nine years working with Galleries. Three years in Exhibitions Show, Curator. 10 years working with private collectors and art dealers.

I've helped with my opinion in:

PhD art. Some specialized courses in Impressionism and Mexican Art.

Sr Eduardo Alonzo. Private Collector. Madrid Spain. Mr Barrios. Art Dealer. Florida-USA. Sr Carlos Ayala. Private Collector. Mexico. Daniel d'Queiros private collector, Sr Jorge Lopez. Private Collector. Mexico.