Fine Art/Kollwitz lithograph/original oil after Rembrandt by Schurer

Question
Dear Mr Twyman,
I have a question regarding a lithograph I have of Kathe Kollwitz's work (I don't have access to Klipstein or Knesebeck-do you?)and also a question regarding an original oil I found by a listed artist named Erich Schurer after Rembrandt's "Man in a Golden Helmet".
The Kollwitz is a beautiful rendering called "Mutter mit Jungen" and although I have seen lithographs of this same mother and child, of this particular rendering I have only been able to find two other lithographs after extensive searching. One is at the Gallerie Ludorff in Germany and one was sold at Sothebys London for $13,000 but that one was pencil signed. A gallery in the US has a photolithographic print (unsigned) of this lithograph and they are selling it for $900. I had two people look at the Kollwitz lithograph through a jeweler's loop (one worked there and one was another customer) and they both said it was an original lithograph. It is on a fine, textured woven paper of some sort and almost looks like it was done with an oil pastel. However,whoever framed it covered up the part of the signature(part of the litho not a pencil sig) with the matting and I am afraid to look to see if there is a stamp or number as it has obvioulsy been framed for quite some time and the paper backing is still intact. I have many pictures I could send you. I would like to know if it is a real lithograph and also if it is part of an edition made while she was alive or a post humus edition. This is where the Klipstein/Knesebeck books would come in handy but they are an investment in themselves! The size, including the frame is approx 25 3/4" by 19 3/4" -the image itself at the longest and widest is approx 19" by 10 1/2". I cannot tell how big the sheet would be.
Then, I found the Schurer oil which is so beautifully and masterfully done. I would like to know what you think. I have several pictures of that also.
I appreciate so much your time!
Sarah

Answer
My contact has only two books, he's elderly and will keep looking, so I might get a call later today.
He has "Diary and Letters" Kollwitz
Also has Kollwitz drawings.  both books are under $100.00 ea.  I saw the one you probably want, but that company was out of stock and out of the country.

Dan

Very dramatic works, I've been looking at a few just now.
I do not recommend taking the frame apart unless you have done that type of thing with success in the past. A framer can take the frame apart without tearing the paper in the event the mat is adhered to the print itself.
If you hold the print up to bright light and look through it, you should see some type of watermarks on the paper.
I have examined art by a variety of aritsts, some have no watermarks but most do.
I have a contact that specailizes in rare art books, I called, no answer. I will have to check back with them.
As for the other works and the Kollwitz, are you trying to sell them or just get current info for your records?

Dan

Dan Twyman