Fine Art/Leon Danchin

I read a response of your to another Leon Dancin querie on this site - & followed your instructions.
I was wondering if you could explain a technique to me?
I have a 'picture' by Leon Danchin - Two Irish Setter Heads, & yes it is rough to the touch & (as an artist myself)I can definately tell that the paint is 'real' & on the surface of the paper & not printed.
However, I am a pencil my knowledge ends there with paint!
The paper has the indentation around the edge as you mentioned. The paint has the appearance of having been laid on top of darker tones beneath it, & there is lots of black 'hatching' with what looks like fine black pen!
The signature is bottom right, & I can also feel this under finger (in black paint).
My question is how this technique is done - &, as I have found other identical ones on line whilst 'googling' - can mine  be 'original'?
I have seen them described as 'originals' - but if so, why are there several of the same painting?
I hope you can shed some light on this for me as I appear to have an original - but so does everyone else!
Please if you have time, put me out of my bafflement!
Many thanks

ANSWER: Lindsay--modern technology is wonderful [?].  Reproductions can be made with texture so they look like originals.  Also, indentations around the edge are a sign of an etching, where the plate is pressed into the paper.  Finally, paintings can be done on paper, but are usually on something stiffer, such as canvas or board.  Frankly, I don't know what you have, but I would guess a reproduction.  You need to show it to an expert who can see, touch, whatever.  Good luck.  Alan

QUESTION: Hello Alan -
I was most impressed by the unexpected speediness of your reply - thank you for that.
If I may trouble you just once more for a little more of your knowledge please - I am thinking that I do indeed have an etching, as this is how the others that I have researched are described.
I suppose where I am confused is that if mine & the others I've seen are all etchings (not the artists actual original piece of work of course), I am unsure of why these etchings are being described as 'original'?
Many identical etchings that I have found on line are described in this way - 'original etching'. Can you explain this to me at all please?
I thought an etching was a 'copy' & that copies are not original??
Also - my picture also has the wording..''1934 La Gravure Francaise 41 Rue St Georges Paris'', written very small in the top right hand corner - do you happen to know if this gives any more clues to my picture?
Thank you kindly for you time - most appreciated!
Kind regards

Lindsay--etchings are multiple originals, pulled from a plate created by the artist.  The plate is not the original.  The subsequent pieces are.  Many people confuse 'original' with unique.  Picasso, for example, probably enjoyed creating etchings more than any other medium in his late years, as it gave him the opportunity to literally draw on a plate.  "Gravure" is French for 'etching.'  Enjoy it.  Alan Klevit

check out Alan's latest book, Art Collecting 101, at  By the way, it has an original multiple print on the cover [actually, my favorite work of art].

Alan Klevit

I can provide sound advice on buying, collecting & understanding fine art, especially original works by 20th century masters and leading contemporary artists. I can also explain techniques used to create original works and offer tips on how to tell whether or not a piece is an original work of art.

I have been active in the art world for twenty-seven years. I owned and operated four galleries and a wholesale showroom on both coasts. We specialized in original works by 20th century masters and emerging artists. I have been an art consultant, artist's representative, lecturer, auctioneer, and curator. I had a radio show for two years, "Today's Art World with Alan Klevit" [Washington, D.C.]; hosted two television shows on the arts for six years [Los Angeles Area]; have written for numerous local papers and international art magazines; and currently write a syndicated column, "The Art Beat." I conduct art auctions for charities throughout the United States, and am a frequent speaker/auctioneer on upscale cruise ships, and at civic organizations and local television shows.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees from Georgetown University and The American University