Fine Art/Leon Danchin Etching

Question
Hi, Alan,
I read your reply to a woman who had and etching by Leon Danchin and was trying to determine whether it was an orignal etching or a reprint.  I have 2 prints, both have 2 flying ducks on them.  They do have the indentation around the print, but it is framed so I have not yet touched it to see if it is rough.  Looking through a jewelers loop it does not appear to have dots.  In the bottom left hand corner is a signature done with an artists pencil ( I think that's what you would call it).  In the bottom right hand corner is a number 749/M on one and 332/M on the other.  The size is 24" x 16" from indentation to indentation.  Can you give me a value?  Thanks for your help.  Kim Riel  

Answer
Kim:  I am impressed by your thoroughness.  Sure sounds like an etching.  A couple of concerns:  artists overwhelmingly sign  in the lower right, not left--I know, it sounds trivial, but I am mean "OVERWHELMINGLY" on the right.  And they generally use a regular pencil, unless they opt for a crayon of some sort.  I have know idea what you mean by an artist's pencil.  I guess 749/M means the edition size is one thousand, although that, too, is something I have never seen in my 30+ years in the art world.  Finally, an etching edition of a thousand is also extraordinary.  Huge, one might say.  All that said, I also do not know the Danchin market.  I am on a minivacation so I don't have time to google him from where I am writing this.  Perhaps you could try that.  Sorry I can't just give you an answer.  I try to do that, but I also try to explain my thinking process and share my knowledge and experience, too.  I hope you don't mind, even if your question is still unanswered.
But enjoy the pieces, because, in the long run, that's all that counts.
Alan.

Alan Klevit