Fine Art/Listed Artist at Merrill Chase Galleries

I understand that this may be a shot in the dark but is there a compiled list of artist that sold their works through the Merrill Chase Galleries? What year did they go out of business? I have two paintings, one a watercolor and the other oil. I have no idea who the artist are. The singnatures on each are very hard to make out. The oil appears to have the first name of Velara (or something to that effect) followed by a M. The watercolor signature starts with a P.V. (or D.V) and lastname ending in a "ley". I understand it can be costly to send these to an appraiser so I'm tring to do a little homework myself. I don't want to pay a small fortune only to find out that the painting aren't valuable. Thanks for your help.  

Dear Tina,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for your question. I am not certain when Merrill Chase closed its doors, but I think it was early 21st Century-maybe 2002. I do not have a list of their represented artists, but there is a Chicago art group that provides valuation updates for Merrill Chase artwork. They are Chicago Appraisers Association and you can get to the information on this service by using this link:

They do charge for their services so if you would like to send me photographs of the paintings including clear images of the signatures, I may be able to help you identify your artwork and current market value. You can email the images to:

Merrill Chase carried fine artwork by established artists so it is very likely your paintings have value that will justify getting formal appraisals; especially if you are looking to resell them on the secondary market. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.