Fine Art/Lithograph - C. Krieghoff

I found an old picture - color that is 23" w and 15 3/4" high. It has some smoke damage and the back of the old frame is actually charred. At the bottom in small sharp type it says. C.Krieghoff del_Simpson Lith. (on the right) In the middle it says The Ice Con at the Falls of Montmorency near Quebec - above that in small type is: London Pub d for the artist by Ackermann & Co. 96, Strand, Dec. 1853. At the left is says Day & Son, Lith rs to The Queen. My question is I know my  family had this a long time, but how would I know if it was an authentic litho or a poster, calendar picture type and does it have any value.
I know the artist of the original oil painting of this subject is Canadian but don't understand the concept of lithographs of oil paintings. I can forward a picture of it if it would help.

Hello Nina,  

The work you have is a reproduction, created using some type of lithographic process, of a painting by Dutch/Canadian artist Cornelius Krieghoff.  It has minimal value - maybe $10.00 - especially when you consider its condition.  Check out the International Fine Print Dealers Association website - - for a terrific explanation of prints.

Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.