Fine Art/Lithograph authenticity

Question
I just found a lithograph by a favorite (deceased) architect, John Hejduk, former dean of cooper Union n NYC. It is framed, offered at $100.00. It is not the money (obviously) that I am concerned about - as i am a huge fan of is, I would like to be assured that what I am buying is real (granted for 100 buck it probably doesnt matter).

Listing:
"All my auctions for lithographs are from my own private collection which numbers in the 1000's, they are all gallery quality. I have been collecting architecture and modern prints for 20 years. They will all be listed as no reserve auctions and come with COA (certificate of authenticity. All are guaranteed 100% and all are professionally framed. All are started with a low first bid of $99. You will not find a more quality collection on sale on ebay from a private collector. I have made every effort to maintain a well preserved authentic and professionally displayed collection.

This print is by John Hejduk titled “Abandoned Chapel: Housing for the Homeless”. Created in connection with an exhibit of work by John Hejduk in 1987. It comes with a certificate of authenticity and is marked on the back as such. I have used very large resolution images so that you can see that this print is in MINT condition. It is 21 x 24 inches and the frame is solid wood green tinted to compliment the print. It has been framed since I purchased it. I have taken extreme care of it and had it cleaned weekly. It displays as new. I have started the auction at a fraction of what I paid for it. We are moving and to have to sell some of our prize possessions. I will be adding more of my collection later this week and month. Thank you for looking.

I paid many times what the opening bid is for this item. If there is no bid with in 12 hours of closing I may decide to either extend or end the listing early. So if you are interested I encourage you to please write with your questions and bid, I will not be able to give items of this quality away

Please write if you have any questions… I have been collecting architecture and modern art Lithographs for over a decade and I will be listing a few over the next month so please check back. Also I have an extensive architecture/art library with many rare items that I will be listing on ebay so please look back for more items. I will be adding 10 – 20 items a week.

I GUARENTEE YOUR HAPPINESS OR YOUR MONEY BACK!"

Hejduk isn't  exactly on the "What's Hot" list - how do I know what I am buying? Shopping for hejduk in a gallery is probably a rare if not impossible action.

What concerned me is that the seller is also offering a Picasso for 199.00......yikes!!

Listing  following:
"(This is a no reserve auction! This lithograph is titles ‘pour jacqueline reine' and is dated 1959 and is signed as part of the print, by Picasso. In total it is 19.5" x 24", I have used very large resolution images so that you can see that this print and frame are in Excellent condition. This print has been professionally framed in a SOLID WALNUT FRAME and it is gallery bought, I will include a copy of the receipt. I have taken extreme care of it and have it cleaned weekly. It displays as new. I have started the auction at a fraction of what I paid for it including framing. We are moving and have to sell some of our prize positions. I will be adding more of my framed Picasso lithographs later this week and month. Thank you for looking.

See my other Picasso litho here. Save on shipping for multiple wins.

Please write if you have any questions… I have been collecting Picasso Lithographs for over a decade and I will be listing a few over the next month so please check back. Also I have an extensive architecture/art library with many rare items that I will be listing on ebay so please look back for more items. I will be adding 10 – 20 items a week.

I GUARENTEE YOUR HAPPINESS OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

This is a no reserve auction! This lithograph is titles ‘pour jacqueline reine' and is dated 1959 and is signed as part of the print, by Picasso. In total it is 19.5" x 24", I have used very large resolution images so that you can see that this print and frame are in Excellent condition. This print has been professionally framed in a SOLID WALNUT FRAME and it is gallery bought, I will include a copy of the receipt. I have taken extreme care of it and have it cleaned weekly. It displays as new. I have started the auction at a fraction of what I paid for it including framing. We are moving and have to sell some of our prize positions. I will be adding more of my framed Picasso lithographs later this week and month. Thank you for looking.

There are a few things to keep in mind when buying a lithograph on ebay. Beware of cheaply priced lithographs, there is a reason for this. Ebay is full of forged (“hand signed”) non-original lithographs. Please note that my lithographs are not of such quality, they are all professionally framed none are “hand signed” forged and all are 100% guaranteed. Please help promote a non-fraudulent buying experience and do not buy “hand signed art” with out a COA and always ask question. "

Do you have any suggestions?

Answer
Steven:  Clearly, the Picasso is a reproduction.  An original lithograph by Pablo would sell in the thousands.  If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.  The other lithograph could be original or simply an offset limited edition litho--a euphemism for a reproduction.  I have culled ebay often, have found a handful of gems [rarely steals, but at least real], and more often been horrified that amateurs buy and have no idea what they are buying.  I have no idea what the piece you ask about really is.  And as far as COA's go, it's a good as the person creating and signing it.
Alan Klevit

NOTE:  Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, is now available at www.booklocker.com and amazon.com

Alan Klevit