Fine Art/Lithograph

Thank You in advance for your advice. I'm an not knowledgeable as to art techniques. I purchased a piece recently at estate sale which I believe is probably a lithograph. You can feel where the print itself is slightly recessed in the paper. It was contained in early 1900's antique frame without glass. I do not believe the print itself is antique. I feel it is a much newer piece and was just put into the frame for presentation. I will have to admit, most people at the estate sale thought the piece was horrible. It is fairly abstract, but I quite liked it. I was able to acquire it by only having to invest what others thought the frame was worth. I have not been able to locate any information on artist. It is titled,numbered and signed in pencil. "half-self twice" 7/7 wayne e powell '68. When I first saw it, I thought it was an etching, but being numbered, I feel it is most likely a lithograph produced in 1968. The problem is the piece has set in attic for quite awhile without been protected. Although matted, slight foxing has started to appear. Is there anyway to remedy this? Would it be easier to answer if I sent you a visual e-mail so you could view it? Secondly, have you any knowledge of this artist? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Hello Vicky,

It sounds like you have some type of original print and the artist utilized intaglio techniques to create the work.  Check out this website for an explanation .  I was not able to find any reference to an artist with the name Wayne E. Powell that was active in 1968.

Foxing is very difficult to remove and I suggest to you it does not make economic sense to have a paper conservator clean a print of little or no monetary value.

I do not think an image would help for I feel I have answered all of your questions.  If not please feel free to email me at .

Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.