Fine Art/Louis Icart

Question
Hello. My friend came across a huge stack of Louis Icart prints in her grandfathers basement(he passed away). They all have his signature on the lower right(looks like its printed the exact same way on every one) and they also have raised stamps on the lower left corners. Are the raised stamps indicators of original prints? How can one be sure?

Answer
Aaron,  Icart created over 500 wonderful etchings in his lifetime and are highly collectible.  I would need additional information from you to determine the authenticity.  If you could please e-mail me the following information, I could get a better idea of what your friend has.  Are the prints signed in pencil?  Are there any numbers next to the signature (for example 1/50).  Are the prints in color or black and white?

To answer you specific question regarding the raised stamps, I can tell you this:  Icart used two types of blind stamps on his works and would appear on the lower left.  So your friends work might be authentic works by Icart. I will refer you to http://www.lockportstreetgallery.com/icartinfo2.htm

This website has great examples of these blind stamps and signatures.

The best way to authenticate these works is to take them to a reputable art dealer and have them take a look. You might want to get a professional appraiser to look at the works as they might be very valuable if they are authentic and in excellent condition. Most importantly, enjoy them and keep them safe until you know for sure.
Alejandro Rojas Salazar M.T.A; M.A.

Alejandro Rojas Salazar