Fine Art/Lyonel Feininger Print

Question
Dan, I have a framed print "Blue Coast" by Lyonel Feininger
The print is at least 30"x16" and a label on the back giving the title and notation 9/41. I wish to know if a limited edition was published? Also, why is the print copyrighted by Mark Tobey? Thanks, Bob

Answer
The Lyonel Feininger Project:
In the late 1960s Achim Moeller began to compile information on the life and work of Lyonel Feininger, forming the foundation for what has now become the Lyonel Feininger Archive. With information on almost 600 paintings and thousands of drawings, watercolors, woodcuts, and sculptures, and an important collection of monographs, exhibition catalogues, photographs, and ephemera, the Archive is now a comprehensive research center. The holdings of the Archive have enabled Achim Moeller to support numerous one man and group exhibitions of Feininger’s work in the United States and Europe, especially in Germany. Mr. Moeller’s dedication to Feininger’s work has made him a leading source for scholarly information, authentications, and appraisals.

The first of the three volumes in the Lyonel Feininger Catalogue Raisonné of Paintings is planned for publication in the fall of 2006 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the artist’s death. Volume I will encompass more than 200 paintings executed between 1907 and 1918. The second and third volumes, dedicated to the periods of 1919­1937 and 1938­1956, will be published in 2008 and 2010, respectively. Catalogues raisonné of Lyonel Feininger’s watercolors and drawings are also currently in preparation.

The Mark Tobey Project LLC
The Mark Tobey Project LLC promotes the legacy of Mark Tobey (1890-1976) through fostering research initiatives, providing authentications, and collaborating with art institutions world-wide on exhibitions and publications. In each of these endeavors, the Project is committed to establishing a greater understanding of the life and work of the artist.

The Mark Tobey Project LLC is supported by actively maintained archival material, including the Willard Gallery Archive and the Paul Cummings Archive, among other sources. An ultimate objective of the Project is the development of a catalogue raisonné, supported by these significant, and as-yet unpublished, archives.

The Mark Tobey Project LLC is directed by Miani Johnson and Achim Moeller. Miani Johnson is the owner of the Willard Gallery, founded in l936 by her mother, Marian Willard Johnson, who represented Mark Tobey from l944 until his death in l976. Achim Moeller established Moeller Fine Art in 1972 and is the editor of Years of Friendship, 1944 – 1956: The Correspondence of Lyonel Feininger and Mark Tobey (Hatje Cantz, 2006). The two directors are supported by a group of international scholars and consultants.

As for the limited edition, I have to research hard copy volumes of art publishers for more details.

Dan

Dan Twyman