Fine Art/Lyonel Feininger

Question
I have a watercolor dated 1934 by Feininger.  The name of the art is Sturmische Einfahrt.  It is framed and has some numbers written on the back.  It is very similar to another work that I found on www.findartinfo.com called Fliehende Schiffe.  How do I tell if this is a print?  And where would I take it to find out what if anything it is worth?

Answer
Dear Stephanie,

Of the documented auctions of Feininger’s work on Artprice; I was able to find several prior auction listings for prints (lithographs) titled “Sturmische Einfahrt”. This leads me to believe yours may be a similar print. Check the size as this print is 11 3/4x17 3/4 inches. You should be able to take it to a local gallery, antique store, or museum and have someone verify the medium of your art. You could still have an original watercolor, but it is more likely you have a lithograph.

The last auction for a Sturmische Einfahrt print was April of 2006 and it sold for $739 (US). It would probably sell for upwards of $3000 in a retail environment. As you are aware, his work is highly collectable.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley